Thursday, January 31, 2008

"The Recipe is Just a Launching Pad"

The minute I heard Abby Austin say that line I knew it would be my blog launching pad. In the spirit of my New Year's resolution to lead a more ballanced life, I had stopped at Annie B's house to say hi. Many months ago she had loaned my a spinning wheel and told me to come for lessons (resolution #3) and yet the time never seemed to open up for me. So seeing that I had some time to spare on my way home from an errand I dropped in. Sitting near a wood stove, at the sunny table, the three of us each pull out a current fiber project (two knitting, one crochet) and talk. Abby lives way up in NH and is living the sustainable life many of us talk. I try one of her healthy and delicious (no, that is not an oxymoron ) muffins. That leads to a discussion about recipes and the two types of people who cook: those that follow the recipe and those for whom it is just a suggestion. Yes, I belong to the latter group and proud of it, though I may not always be proud of the results of my efforts. Remember my motto, "If it is not brain surgery or sky diving, the outcome doesn't have to be perfect."
Blog On!
Leslie

No comments: