Friday, August 8, 2008

Yarn in the Crockpot, Jewelry in the Steamer

Being a Taurus is appeals to my practical nature to find another use for something that I already own. It appeals to my cheap side too.
I used to have an ultrasonic cleaner that heated the water and then vibrated to clean off any buffing compound left in the nooks and crannies (hard not to picture an English muffin). Most days it was on for eight hours or more. Then I discovered that I could buff something, put it in a heat proof mug or bowl COVERED in water with a squish of Dawn detergent (trust me on the brand choice)) and microwave for about one minute. At this point I do some stretching exercise. Using an old toothbrush I gently dislodge any stubborn compound. If I do that ten times a day the equation is something like; eight plus hours of electricity vs ten minutes of electricity.
OK, now let's talk steamers and crock pots. As I write, Maureen has yarn lounging in a bath of Lemon-Lime Kool-Aid in the crock pot. She is overdyeing a skein that was previously dyed with Tamarindo Kool-Aid. Evidently you need the crock pot for the heat to set the color better. Nearby, on the stove is the beautiful steamer my Uncle Herbert gave my mom many holidays ago. Inside are shawl pins and Cable Needle Necklaces. The steamer basket allows me to agitate the hot water to clean everything at once. I always laugh to myself when I visualize the response if my New Your City living uncle who rarely cooked saw his gift being used in this manner.
Anyone have any blender suggestions?
Blog On!
Leslie

3 comments:

Chris said...

Sounds like a fun and productive time!

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Clever use of household appliances;)Cant wait to see pictures of the yarn.Hugs Darcy

Anonymous said...

No blender suggestions....but I'm all for using the least amount of 'lectricty!