Wednesday, April 2, 2008

And the Cable Stitch Holder Necklace Is Born!

I was reading the the Yarn Harlot,
http://yarnharlot.com/
a bit ago as she was knitting the Vintage Sock pattern from the Tsarina of Tsocks http://www.tsocktsarina.com/.
Things were going along great until she dropped the sock with a cable needle in place and watched as the portion that was coming out to perfection, unraveled. In a flash the idea for this design came to mind. The tubular sterling top can be threaded with a chain, piece of leather or yarn and worn around the neck as jewelry. The switchback "needle" is made of bronze that is hammered slightly and polished. My theory was that the curves would hold the cable stitches securely. Having been a jeweler for many years I know there is a difference between theory and reality. I would be interested in feedback from the other knitters out there, please.
Blog (and cable) On!
Leslie

10 comments:

Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

I think it's amazingly beautiful. I am trying to visualize if it would work, or if the leather/chain/yarn would be in the way somehow. But I love the look of it just as jewelery either way!!!

judy said...

It is a beautiful design. I don't see how it could work as a cable needle as the end that holds it onto the necklace wouldn't allow the stitches to slide off. Or, maybe I don't understand your idea. Lovely as a piece of jewelry!

Folly Cove Fiber Freaks said...

Hi Judy and thanks for your comment. My thought was that you wold just transfer the stitches from your needle to the necklace needle and back again. Perhaps not the quickest way but it would prevent lost stitches and make for interesting conversation.

Claudia said...

I think it would work, AND it's lovely to look at. What an awesome idea!

Unknown said...

It also looks like it could be a formidable weapon in case anyone tries to pilfer from your stash!

Sorka said...

Thank you again for letting me try out this little cable needle necklace! I gave it a little try and it worked pretty well for me. It is very lovely and I find that it is very nice to fiddle with when not in use! It's a nice fidgit!! hehe I will give it some more 'rigourous' testing soon!
Denise
knitchat.com

Heather said...

oh? how fun!

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I think it is a brilliant idea and is beautiful.Iam excitted to use it:)Hugs Darcy

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

It is amazing no tension on my hands when using it and my stitches stay on the cable needle necklace I now love cabling:)

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful and brilliant. And now that Knit and Tonic is blogging about it - you'll probably sell a LOT of them!

I can't wait to get one!