Friday, July 8, 2016

Soap Hammock "Pattern"

What do recipes, directions and most suggestions have in common? My inability to heed them in general. So here is the gist of how to make these soap hammocks. Basically they are pockets made of fast drying materials like linen or crochet cotton. Make a rectangle that will hold the bar of soap when folded in half. Open designs are best as the airiness allows for quick drainage. The photo on the left is actually gymp which being plastic drains the best. I loved it as a kid and on a trip to Michael's  saw the new generation of colors. I had to have some!  Seam the sides and add the ties. These are crocheted but "I" chord is a nice choice too.
    I am working on a lace knit pocket done in pale pink linen which I will post when it is finished.
 Blog On!
Leslie

2 comments:

Lisa said...

hi, i'm pretty new to crocheting. when you say open pattern could you please give more directions? Thanks!

Alethea said...

Hi Leslie,

Since so many people have asked for the soap hammock pattern, is it possible to go back and post it where the ORIGINAL picture is? Your newbies don't know how to look for it in the archives, which is where I looked and found it.

Also, for the newbies like Lisa who don't know what "open" might mean, do you think a granny square recommendation would be helpful?

I haven't tried it yet myself, so I don't know. A friend of mine just sent me the picture and asked if I would PLEASE make one for her! So, here I am.

Just a thought question.

Thanks for posting your beautiful design and for taking the time to help us try to make it! :)

Alethea