Friday, August 17, 2007

Basil


Maureen here. Every season has its scents: evergreen for Christmas, turkey for Thanksgiving, lilacs for May. My nomination for the scent of August is basil. The lovely basil pictured here is straight out of Leslie's thriving garden. After it posed prettily for this portrait, it became pesto and was frozen to be used during a cold winter's day. The scent was intoxicating. It reminded me of Grampa's garden and of the herbs Dad used to grow. I would love to buy some basil essential oil and make myself a basil perfume. Wonder if I would end up smelling like an Italian restaurant?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As you know, I live in an old in-town Italian neighborhood with lots of gardens. I swear on hot August days the whole neighborhood smells of basil so I agree with you --- August smells like basil (July smells like rhubarb).

If any of your readers who love to cook care to check out my new project stop by http://www.valentinecookbook.blogspot.com/
I am making a blog that is a collection of old family recipes, photographs and stories. Hope you enjoy them

Thanks for the great blog, ladies. See you Tuesday???